Basic Skills Committee
Basic Skills Committee (BaSk) meets the 4th Wednesday* of each month, 2:30-4:30 pm.
2016-17 Meeting Dates:
August 24, September 28, October 26, November 30*, January 25, February 22, March 29*, April 26.
*Due to holiday schedules, these meetings are on the 5th Wednesdays.
The Las Positas College Basic Skills Committee is committed to providing students with the foundation they need to succeed in higher education and the 21st Century. For many of our students, this means strengthening those basic skills in reading, writing, mathematics, learning skills, study skills, and English as a Second Language. The Basic Skills Committee believes that students continually strengthen their skills throughout their college experience and in the different disciplines. Improving basic skills requires the college to work together across departments, disciplines and services.
This academic year (2016-17), the Basic Skills Committee is considering several areas for financial support.
Our goals include:
- Create Basic Skills program marketing materials and apparatus that will fully include and support ESL
- Revise the implementation of multiple measures placement in English & Math
- Continue financial Support of Math Jam and encourage full institutionalization
- Support Student Support/Tutorial Center and encourage full institutionalization
- Create basic skills professional development opportunities