- Academic Services Home
The Academic Services Organization is responsible for the instructional programs, instructional support services, and faculty/student support necessary to serve the college, its students and community through quality academic offerings. Academic Services comprises the Office of Academic Services and four divisions: Mathematics, Science, Engineering and Public Safety, Arts and Communication; Business, Computing, Applied Technology and Social Sciences; and Physical Education, Health, Wellness and Athletics.
Academic Services Mission
The Academic Services Team is responsible for the management of college resources as they pertain to the instructional mission of the institution. The Academic Services team collaboratively leads the future of instruction and provides the synergy for quality college programs, degrees, certificates and academic institutional goals.
Academic Services Vision
The Academic Services team will work today to empower the future of Las Positas College, its students and its community. While our mission is to maintain excellence in all instructional programs, our vision provides for future academic planning through the strengths, skills and professionalism of our individual team leaders and the foundational support of the team leadership.
Academic Services Leadership Tenets
- Inspire - We develop and communicate a vision for how our work unit can most effectively contribute to the institutional mission. In pursuing that vision, we challenge all employees to strive for excellence and engage them in the effort to achieve goals and improve all aspects of the operation.
- Model Integrity - We hold ourselves to the highest standards of integrity and professional conduct and do what is best for the organization and mission. We generously share credit for the accomplishments of the organization and demonstrate courage in dealing with difficult decisions and poor performers.
- Develop the Next Generation - We take seriously our responsibilities as educators, leaders, and mentors and work to develop the skills necessary to play those roles effectively. We make time to get to know our colleagues and provide them timely praise, honest feedback, and opportunities to cultivate their talents.
- Empower Responsibility - We give employees ownership over their work, issue clear and concise instructions, and provide coaching and further clarification if needed. We stand behind our people and take responsibility when mistakes are made or calculated risks don't turn out.
- Communicate - We help others understand the mission - and their role in accomplishing it. We also listen actively to each other's concerns and encourage innovation by inviting suggestions.
- Build Great Teams - We recruit high-caliber candidates for job vacancies, train and develop them right from the start, build trust, and foster a sense of pride and mutual support in the team. We serve the team by eliminating obstacles, resolving conflicts, obtaining appropriate resources. We celebrate team success.
- Lead by Example - We set the example for work ethic and demonstrate the willingness and knowledge to do any job to help the team. We run interference to prevent abuse and undue pressure when it creates barriers to successful completion of goals.
- Follow Courageously - We take ownership of our work and hold ourselves accountable for improving performance and making our organization stronger. We dissent respectfully and work towards compromise in the interest of the team and the mission.
- Learn Constantly - We deepen our personal self-awareness in order to cultivate our talents and mitigate mission-critical weaknesses. We continually work to improve both our skills and our substantive knowledge. We take risks and accept failure as a part of success.
- Foster Relationships - We consider our mission central to core objectives of the institution, and we establish
constructive working relationships with all mission elements to further those objectives.
Adopted: July, 2009
Academic Services Priorities:
The Academic Services Team has set forth the following objectives as its priorities for the coming year:
- Provide effective communication among the Division Offices and the Office of Academic Services and Las Positas College as a whole about its academic programs as they relate to student needs, curriculum, policies and procedures, and budgets.
- In collaboration with faculty and the Academic Services Office, produce a comprehensive Schedule of Classes and College Catalog that meet the diverse and dynamic needs of our students.
- Inspire a culture of evidence and ongoing learning for faculty through meaningful opportunities for professional development.
Office of the Vice President Academic Services
Kristina Whalen, Ph.D.
Vice President of Academic Services
Carolyn Y. Scott, MPA
Andrea Migliaccio, MS
Curriculum & Scheduling Specialist
Liz McWhorter, PhD
Curriculum & SLO Specialist
Career Technical Education Project Manager
Emerald Templeton, EdD
Education Partnerships Project Manager