Welcome to the English Department website! We are proud to serve so many students, whether entering or returning to Las Positas College: we strive to help you develop your reading, writing, and critical thinking skills so that you thrive as a student here and as a professional in the working world.
Most of the students who plan to enroll in English classes at LPC will take an assessment test that will indicate whether they should begin with our Basic Skills Program or with English 1A, a transfer-level class. See the Assessment Center's website for more information and SAMPLE ASSESSMENT TEST QUESTIONS. Also, check out the full range of classes we offer by clicking on the "English Courses" link on the left side of this page. Below is a list of classes that are core to our program:
- Basic Skills: (non-transferable classes, designed to help students be successful in transfer-level
English classes and classes across the curriculum):
- Usually, based on the recommendation of a counselor, students will take basic skills classes for either one year (English 100A & 104) or for one semester (English 104).
- Transfer Classes (classes transferable to CSU and UC):
- Most students will first take English 1A, and then, depending on their plans for transfer, one or more of the following: English 4 or English 7.
- Please review the links on this website and the LPC course schedule and catalog for the full range of courses, support, and extracurricular activities we offer.