- Financial Aid Home
- 2018-19 Sample Award Letter
- AB19 The California College Promise
- Additional Resources
- After You Apply - What's Next?
- California College Promise Grant (formerly BOGW Fee Waiver)
- Class-Web - How To
- Complete Withdraw & Financial Aid
- Cost of Attendance
- Current Federal Workstudy Jobs
- Dream Act (AB 540)
- Federal Direct Loan
- Federal Tax Benefits and 1098-T
- Financial Aid Staff
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- How to Apply
- Información de la Ayuda Financiera
- LPCSG Textbook Loaner Program
- LPC Veterans First Program
- Manage Your Money
- Net Price Calculator
- Pell Grant Chart 2018-2019
- Purpose of Financial Aid
- Refund (Payment) Dates
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- The Zone
- Types of Financial Aid
- Understanding My Responsibilities
Dependent vs. Independent Status
If you are considered an Independent Student, only your information (and your spouse's, if you are married) is used to calculate the expected family contribution. If you are a Dependent Student, your parents' income information is also used.
You are considered an Independent Student if any one of the following applies to you:
- You are or will be 24 years of age or older by December 31 of the award year (For example, born before January 1, 1994 (for 2017-2018 FAFSA))
- You are married, or
- You have legal dependents of your own, or
- You are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces, having served on active duty, or
- You are a ward of the court or both of your parents are deceased.
- You are considered a Dependent Student and must supply information about your parents on your FAFSA if none of the conditions above apply to you.
Overriding Dependency Status
It may be possible to have your dependency status officially changed by the Financial Aid Officer by filing a Request of a Change in Dependency Status petition with the financial aid office. There must be extenuating circumstances (such as a family situation involving abuse or other adverse circumstances) involved which are documented by a professional familiar with the situation in order to be considered.
Monday: 9am - 3pm
Tuesday: 9am - 3pm & 5pm - 6:30pm
Wednesday: 9am - 1pm
Thursday: 9am - 3pm
Friday: Closed for Processing
Federal School Code:
We have an after-hours DROPBOX located in the hallway between the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices, for your convenience.