The LPC Music Department offers world-class facilities, state-of-the-art resources, classes lead by accomplished, actively performing faculty that provide one-on-one attention to their students, and unique degrees and certificates for successful university transfer or direct entry into the music industry.
- Welcome & News
- Degrees & Certificates
- Performance Ensembles
- Ensemble Auditions
- Commercial Music
- Music Faculty
- The Job Market
- LPC Internship & Job Board
- Performing Arts
- Career & Technical Education
- Advisory Board
Registration Now Open for Spring 2021 Music Classes
- Visit Admissions & Records today to complete your "Six Steps to Success".
- View our Program Offerings to plan out your goals. We offer an AA-T and AA in Music in addition to certificates in Music Business, Music Technology, Scoring for Film and Multimedia, Jazz Studies, and Piano Teaching Fundamentals (can be earned in just one semester), Teaching Beginning Piano, and Teaching Intermediate Piano.
- View all Music Department Class Offerings for Spring 2021 to pick out your schedule and register
- View Ensemble Auditions page for necessary information about joining our performing ensembles. (*see "News" below)
- Join us, beginning January 19, 2021!
- Due to the ongoing Covid-19 Pandemic, all classes will be conducted online either synchronously via Zoom, asynchronously via Canvas, or a combination of the two modalities.
LPC Music Department
Discover • Perform • Create • Excel
Follow your passions and join our supportive and nurturing community today!
The LPC Music Department strives to:
- Provide a rigorous, creative, and fun learning environment that prepares students for the real-world expectations of the music industry as well as 4-year music programs.
- Offer the highest quality professional education in a variety of musical disciplines and career pathways, including Performance, Music Business, Music Theory, Composition, Music History, Music Technology, and Music Education.
- Expose students to a variety of approaches to music making through the latest technology, equipment, research, and performance practice.
- Offer a Zero Discrimination Policy: Students of all backgrounds are welcome.
Spring 2021 Ensembles - Online Instruction
Our top priority as a department this school year is student and instructor safety, while also finding innovative and creative solutions to the central problem: Making music together without spread of the coronavirus. Because Alameda County has been put on the State’s monitoring list and continues to have rising COVID-19 cases, the Chabot-Las Positas Community College District has significantly scaled back the number of classes that can meet in-person. This means that all LPC ensemble classes (previously scheduled as hybrid courses with appropriate social distancing) are being taught fully online and do not currently include any regular on-campus meetings.
Our ensembles have a multitude of options for making music together while fully utilizing modern technology, including (but not limited to):
- Collaborative cloud-based recording assignments
- Trials and implementation of very low-latency software that allows synchronous playing and singing with minimal lag
- Score study and research projects on composers and arrangers in historically marginalized communities
- Weekly technical, musicianship, and skill-building exercises
- Exploration of state-of-the-art distance learning softwares, tailored to ensemble instrumentation
- Virtual ensemble recordings and videos
- The continuation of the strong and vital communities within all of our ensembles.
We are legitimately excited to explore new ways of teaching and learning that, in some ways, may be just plain better than traditional methods. It is our stated goal to create a successful, meaningful, creative, and engaging semester for every single student.
Please enjoy the virtual choir recording of "Baby Mine," completed from home quarantine in Spring 2020 by the LPC vocal department:
Online Certificates of AchievementWe are very excited to announce a brand new Certificate of Achievement in Piano Teaching Fundamentals! All of these courses will be offered this Fall 2020 and the certificate can be earned in as little as ONE semester. If you have any interest in Music Education, we highly encourage you to join us this Fall!
For more information please contact:
Mertes Center for the Arts (Bldg 4000)
Las Positas College
3000 Campus Hills Drive
Livermore, CA 94551