Disability Resource Center
Alternative Media (Alt Media)
The Alternative Media (Alt Media) center at Las Positas College is committed to ensuring that students have materials that they need in a format they can use. Alternative media is an alternative format (or medium) of original print materials that students with verified disabilities can use to access required textbooks, course materials, class handouts, exams, and other print materials.
Examples of Alt Media provided by DSPS include:
Sample Testing Accommodations
- Electronic formats
- Audio files
- Large print
How to Request Alt Media
- First, students must meet with a DSPS counselor to determine which Alternative Media resources are right for you.
- Next, you will need to set a follow up appointment with the Alt Media Specialist who will take your requests and provide training on how to use the recommended devices, technologies, and resources.
- During your appointment with the Alt Media Specialist, students must submit the following information:
- Proof of registration in the classes for which materials are being requested
- A class syllabus & course reading list
- ISBN and proof of purchase for each required course book
Alt Media Production Timeline
Upon receipt of request, the Alt Media Specialist will e-mail or phone the student a tentative timeline for the project. Students will receive another call or e-mail when the material is ready for pick up in the Disability Resource Center in 1615.
Because of the time consuming nature of each alternative media request, all requests are processed on a first come first served basis. The amount of time it takes to complete each request depends on the type of starting material, the number of pages, and the alternate media type. The Disability Resource Center will follow the recommended timelines outlined by the Chancellor’s Office Guidelines for Producing Instructional and other Printed Materials in Alternative Media for Person’s with Disabilities for Standard Production, Rolling Production, and Specialized Text Production.
Alt Media Forms
Karen Zeigler, Alternative Media Specialist Disability Resource Center Bldg 1600 Room 1615 Phone: (925) 424-1524
1st Floor | Room 1615
*Additional evening test proctoring hours are available on Tuesdays until 6:00 PM
Tuesday 11:00 am – 2:30 pm
Wednesday 9:00 am – 12:00 pm
Thursday No counselor available
Friday 9:00 am - 12:00 pm *
*No counselor available the 3rd Friday of the month