What is the Math Emporium?
In this mode, students have the ability to complete their basic skills math courses in a personalized mode.
- Work at their own pace through lectures, homework sets and labs.
- Attend workshops on topics they feel they need help with.
- Decide when they are ready to take a test within a flexible window.
- Demonstrate understanding of a certain percentage of the material before moving on to the next chapter.
- No longer just struggle to get by, but will build a stronger foundation for their future material.
- Have flexibility in when they complete the course: early, on time, or the following semester.
What kind of student excels in the Emporium Model?
- Student who attend every class day.
- Students who work diligently on material both in class and outside of class.
- Students who construct a good working relationship with their instructor and instructional assistants.
- Students who take full advantage of all support resources available online, in-class and on campus.
- Students who are committed to learning.
What are the differences between taking a math class in the Emporium Mode and Lecture Mode?
|Pace is set by the student.||Pace is set by the instructor|
|Student determines how much time they need to spend on a concept before moving on.||Student may have to move forward before fully grasping a concept.|
|All practice assignments must be completed before testing.||Homework might not have been completed, or even attempted, before testing.|
|Small group workshops led by the instructor, instructional IA, or a student tutor. Students pick which topics they are interested in attending.||The entire class listens to a lecture led by the instructor.|
|Student has blexibility in their exam date.||Exam dates and times are fixed by the instructor.|
|Multiple attempts to pass an exam.||One attempt at an exam. Pass or fail, you move on to the next section of content.|
|Personalized review and support between attempts.||Minimal revisiting of concepts.|
For more information please contact:
Math Emporium -
Hours of operation:
9:30 am to 9:15 pm
Monday - Thursday
Monday - Thursday
9:30 am to 12:45 pm
1:45 pm to 5:30 pm