About Las Positas College
Las Positas College is an inclusive learning-centered institution providing educational opportunities and support for completion of students’ transfer, degree, basic skills, career-technical, and retraining goals.
Las Positas College strives to be California’s premier Community College, setting the standard through opportunities for developing knowledge, skills, values, and abilities that foster engaged and contributing members of the society.
Las Positas College thrives as a collaborative teaching and learning community committed to integrity and excellence by:
- Encouraging and celebrating lifelong learning
- Responding to the needs of the ever-changing workplace
- Demonstrating civic, social and environmental responsibility
- Promoting ethical behavior, tolerance and mutual respect in a diverse community
- Fostering a climate of discovery, creativity and personal development
- Holding firm to the belief that each of us makes an astonishing difference.
The multiple meanings of the terms used in the Mission Statement are below:
- Inclusive - welcoming of a diverse group of students including but not limited to DSPS, EOPS, CalWORKS, International, Multicultural, various Economic Backgrounds, Distance Education, and Lifelong Learners; all with varying skill levels and learning styles.
- Learning-Centered - refers to courses, programs, disciplines, modes of delivery, learning communities, accounting for varying skills levels, creative and critical thinking, and having necessary and specialized facilities.
- Educational opportunities - include but are not limited to classroom and Distance Education (DE) instruction, athletics, field trips, guest speakers, student government, cultural opportunities, clubs, labs, internships, tutorial service, workshops, library research, and mentoring.
- Support includes tutorial center, reading and writing center, counseling, office hours, Integrated Learning Center, Admissions and Records, advisory boards, Health and Wellness, financial aid, BlackBoard (on-line) courses, technology, enrollment management, assessment, tutorial services, Library, Computer Center, Student Services, Administrative Services; all provided by a dedicated group of administrators, faculty and classified professionals.