About Las Positas College
Las Positas College provides an inclusive, learning-centered, equity-focused environment that offers educational opportunities and support for completion of students’ transfer, degree, and career-technical goals while promoting life-long learning.
Las Positas College strives to support and empower students to develop the knowledge, skills, values, and abilities needed to become engaged participants and leaders in their local and global communities.
Las Positas College thrives as a collaborative teaching and learning community committed to integrity and excellence by:
- Encouraging and celebrating lifelong learning
- Responding to the needs of the ever-changing workplace and society
- Demonstrating civic, social and environmental responsibility
- Promoting ethical behavior, mutual trust, equity, and respect within our diverse community
- Fostering a climate of discovery, creativity, personal development, and physical and mental health
- Ensuring that Las Positas is a sanctuary campus for undocumented students
- Holding firm to the belief that each of us makes an astonishing difference.
The multiple meanings of the terms used in the Mission Statement are below:
- Inclusive - welcoming of a diverse group of students including but not limited to: all race-ethnicity groups, all ages, all genders, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender+, first generation, students with disabilities, veterans, students with children, all socio-economic backgrounds, including those from economically disadvantaged backgrounds, undocumented, international, multicultural, religious beliefs and practices—all with varying skill levels and learning styles.
- Learning-Centered - refers to courses, programs, disciplines, modes of delivery, learning communities, accounting for varying skill levels and learning styles, creative and critical thinking, and having necessary and specialized facilities.
- Educational opportunities - include but are not limited to classroom and Distance Education (DE) instruction, athletics, field trips, guest speakers, student government, cultural opportunities, clubs, labs, internships, tutoring service, workshops, library research, career training, and mentoring.
- Support includes tutoring services, Reading and Writing Center, learning communities, student workshop opportunities, counseling, faculty office hours, Math Learning Center, supplemental instruction, Admissions and Records, advisory boards, Health and Wellness Services, financial aid, evening services, veteran services, learning management system, online courses, online counseling, online tutoring, technology support for online students, food pantry, cafeteria, bookstore, technology, appropriate pathways, assessment, Child Development Center, Library, Computer Center, technical support, Student Services, programs for traditionally marginalized students, Administrative Services; all provided by a dedicated group of faculty, classified professionals, and administrators.