The Umoja Community is a…
Two-semester college success program and learning community that provides a dedicated support system to help you reach your academic goals and life purpose. You will have a dedicated counselor and a host of faculty who are readily available to guide and serve you. You will experience college success and English curriculum focused on the African-American experience through literature, history, and artistic modalities.
WHAT WILL YOU RECEIVE?
You will receive the following:
- Encouraging and supportive instructors
- Cohort classes (this means you will take classes with other community students) --- it’s a community!
- Dedicated counselor
- College workshops
- Guest speakers
- College tours
- School supplies
- Access to transfer events
- A supportive community of faculty and other thriving students, for example the Black Student Union (BSU) student club
WHO CAN BE A PART OF THIS COMMUNITY?
If you are committed to successfully achieving your educational goals and completing your program of study (i.e., certificate, associate’s degree or transfer), this program is for you!
WHO IS ELIGIBLE?
Any student who is enrolled at Las Positas College or has begun the admissions process and has assessed into English 1A – Critical Reading and Composition.
These are the courses that you’ll take with other community students. The courses are taught by our community specific faculty.
- Psychology-Counseling 30 – Student Success and Experience (3-units)
CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE: E
- English 1A – Critical Reading and Composition
CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE:A2; IGETC:1A
- Library Skills 1 - (1-unit)
CSU/UC transferable course (pending approval)
- Psychology-Counseling 10 – Career and Educational Planning (2-units) CSU transferable course
- English 4 – Critical Thinking / Writing Literature
CSU/UC transferable course: CSU GE:A3; IGETC:1B