- Financial Aid Home
- How to Apply
- After You Apply - What's Next?
- Purpose of Financial Aid
- Financial Aid Staff
- Información de la Ayuda Financiera
- Types of Financial Aid
- Current Federal Workstudy Jobs
- Federal Direct Loan
- ASLPC Textbook Loaner Program
- California College Promise Grant (formerly BOGW)
- Cost of Attendance
- The Zone
- Refund (Payment) Dates
- Complete Withdraw & Financial Aid
- Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy
- Understanding My Responsibilities
- AB19 The California College Promise
- Pell Grant Chart 2017-2018
- Pell Grant Chart 2018-2019
- Net Price Calculator
- Dream Act (AB 540)
- Debit Card
- Federal Tax Benefits and 1098-T
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Manage Your Money
- Additional Resources
- LPC Veterans First Program
Completing the Financial Aid Application
The Office of the U.S. Department of Education is currently experiencing high wait times for calls and chats at 1-800-4FED-AID (1-800-433-3243). If you need to speak with a customer service representative at Dept of Ed, you may wish to contact them between the hours of 4 and 7 p.m. ET when call and chat volumes are typically lower. If you have questions about the FSA ID, you can find the answers to frequently asked questions here.
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
All applicants for federal and state financial aid must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). The FAFSA collects the family and financial information of the student. When the FAFSA is completed it is sent to a Federal processor and the information is put through an eligibility determining formula. The student must indicate Las Positas College ( Federal School Code 030357) as one of his/her intended colleges when completing the FAFSA.
The entire process can take 6-8 weeks, but can take much longer for students who apply late and don't follow through in a timely manner.
Remember, if you are attending more than one college at the same time, you may only receive federal financial aid at ONE of those colleges (with the EXCEPTION of the BOG Fee Waiver)
If you do not secure a FSA ID, you must print a copy of the signature sheet from your computer application, sign it, and forward it to the federal processor or bring it to LPC Financial Aid Office. The signature sheet is then matched with your electronic results and your electronic application will then be processed (allow approximately 2 weeks for processing once you send the signature sheet).
To determine the status of your FAFSA, once filed, contact 1-800-4FEDAID (1-800-433-3243). They will email you confirmation that they have received your FAFSA. We will receive the FAFSA, from them, in about a week and you will be notified at your Zonemail account and then check Class-Web.
Methods of Filing a FAFSA Application
There are two ways to apply for aid:
Apply online, the fastest method. From any computer, apply online at the Department of Education's website www.fafsa.ed.gov. You are welcome to use the computers, to apply online, at the Online Service Center (Next to Admissions and Records), Building 1600, Room 1670.
You may choose any of these three methods to file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA):
- Login to apply online (Recommended) or
- Complete a PDF FAFSA (Note: PDF FAFSAs must be mailed for processing) or
- Request a paper FAFSA by calling us at 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243) or 319-337-5665. If you are hearing impaired, contact the TTY line at 1-800-730-8913.
If You Cannot Find Your Financial Aid Information on the Zone
Reasons may be:
- You have NOT completed your Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- You have NOT entered our Federal School COde in your submitted FAFSA.
- You have completed your FAFSA but we have NOT received it. It takes approximately 7-10 days after your FAFSA submission for us to retrieve your information.
Always double check:
- Make sure you have completed the correct FAFSA for the appropriate Financial Aid Year.
Monday: 9am - 3pm
Tuesday: 9am - 3pm & 5pm - 6:30pm
Wednesday: 9am - 1pm
Thursday: 9am - 3pm
Friday: Closed for Processing
Federal School Code:
We have an after-hours DROPBOX located in the hallway between the Admissions and Financial Aid Offices, for your convenience.