Financial Aid

"What is the Lifetime Eligibility used (LEU) for Pell Grants?"

In December 2011, President Obama signed into law the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2012 (Public Law 112-74). This law has significantly impacted the Pell Grant Program. Beginning July 1, 2012, Students are now limited to six full years (12 semesters / 600%) of Pell Grant eligibility during their lifetime. This change affects all students regardless of when or where they received their first Pell Grant. Students who have already used 600% of their Pell Grant eligibility will no longer be eligible to receive a Pell Grant starting summer 2012. There are no exceptions to this regulation. Students with 500% - 600% may have limited pell eligibility remaining for the current year. 

How is the percentage used calculated? - LEU explained

The percentages are based on your annual award at fulltime enrollment status compared to the amount you actually receive in a given year.  The amount of aid you received each academic year is divided by the maximum annual award you are eligible for that year and your annual percentage is determined.   Percentages from each year is added together to calculate your lifetime eligibility used. Examples:  If your annual award is $5550 and you received $5550, you received 100% of your award for that year.  If your annual award is $3000 and you received $2250, you received $2250 divided by $3000 or 75% for that year. If your annual award is $5550 and you received a total of $2081 that year, you received $2081 divided by $5550 or 37.495%.  If your annual award is $5550 and you received a total of $600 for that year, you received $600 divided by $5550 or 10.81%.  Your annual percentages are added together to determine your Lifetime Eligibility Used.  The maximum is 600%. Once you reach 600% you are terminated from receiving any additional Pell grants.  

Where can I view my lifetime Pell Grant used?

You may view your Pell Grant used by logging into .

I have questions about this, who do I call?

Las Positas College Financial Aid Staff are available to discuss the change in the lifetime Pell Grant eligibility with you. Please stop by the office or email us at ( from your zonemail account and include your student ID.   You may want to consider placing your pell grant on hold to save it for transfer.... Keep in mind, especially if you intend to transfer, you may run out of Pell grant eligibility if you used up too much before your transfer.  
You may want to consider placing a hold on your pell grant while attending community college if you have received over 300% so that you are sure to reserve 2 - 3 years of Pell for your transfer institution. Most students still require more than two years to complete a program once they transfer. Plan accordingly! 
To place your pell grant on hold you must complete the ‘LPC Pell Grant Hold Form’ at

Financial Aid

Building 1600
Room 1650 (second floor)
Tel: 925.424.1580
Fax: 925.449.6038

General Information

Federal School Code: 030357

We have an after-hours DROPBOX
located in the hallway between the
Admissions and Financial Aid Offices,
for your convenience.

Print this Page Email this Page

Page last modified: September 19, 2017