All Las Positas College instructors have access to SafeAssign, an online, anti-plagiarism service accessible within Blackboard. SafeAssign can not only be used to prevent plagiarism, but it can also used to create opportunities to help students identify how to properly attribute sources rather than paraphrase.
How does SafeAssign work?
SafeAssign is based on a unique text-matching algorithm capable of detecting exact and inexact matching between a paper and source material. SafeAssignments are compared against several different databases, including:
- Internet – comprehensive index of documents available for public access on the Internet
- ProQuest ABI/Inform database – more than 1,100 publication titles and about 2.6 million articles from 1990s to the present, updated weekly
- Institutional document archives – contains all papers submitted to SafeAssign by students at LPC
- Global Reference Database – contains papers that were volunteered by students from Blackboard client institutions to help prevent cross-institutional plagiarism
How do instructors get started with it?
If you already have a Blackboard account, you can either contact the Teaching and Learning Center for a one-on-one training session, or you can simply begin using the tool within your Blackboard course. Here are some training materials:
- View the SafeAssign instructor manual (PDF)
- Video tutorial - Creating a SafeAssignment
- Video tutorial - Viewing a SafeAssignment
If you do not have a Blackboard account, you can request Blackboard Basics training on the Staff Development site. On that page, you can choose whether to obtain training face-to-face or online. After completing basics training, you can return to that page, and request SafeAssign training. Alternatively, you use the links above for self-paced training.
Are there any instructions for my students?
Students can view a video tutorial on submitting a SafeAssignment.